Our first appointment with the OB went well, although not nearly as exciting as I had hoped. We only met our Nurse and PA-C, Dr. Fealco was away in delivery. Because we just had a 9 week ultrasound at Dr. Slater's office, they did not see the need to do another so soon. I understand, but at the same time we have yet to hear the heartbeat or get the rate - there's anxiety not knowing when most others already have this data at this stage. We go back in 4 weeks and hopefully then we'll get to it. She was kind enough to pull out an old ultrasound machine to at least get a look at the heartbeat really quick.
We went through all the standard background and family history detail. They explained to us the financing, which I found quite amusing. Turns out its much cheaper to have a baby than it is to TRY for a baby, who would have thought! Reviewed the upcoming appointments and milestones to expect. Nothing of surprise really. I was quite confused about all the prenatal screening options that would tell us if there was any risk or concern of Downs Syndrome and all that. I think for the most part we're both comfortable with opting out for now. Even if we did find something, I can't imagine ever terminating because of it. And who wants they're entire pregnancy filled with anguish and worry, not this girl. I have faith my body would reject the fetus should something be amiss.
My goody bag consisted of 4-6 different pregnancy magazines, some general diet and exercise info, hospital detail, a sample of formula and some prenatal vitamins. Very happy about the vitamins, they are mercury-free and also contain a light stool softener, much needed to combat against the extra iron intake as well as the progesterone.
I guess it gets rather boring from here on out. Nowhere near the amount of appointments and ultrasounds that we're used to. The best kind of boring! We are now just another pregnant couple at an OB's office.
No comments:
Post a Comment