Monday, January 30, 2012

Egg Retrieval is Tomorrow


Here we are!  After 11 days of injections (39 to be exact!), we are ready for retrieval.  We visited the clinic twice over the weekend, and from what we can tell there looks to be about 10-12 mature eggs we can count on.  I was hoping we could make it to 15, but I think we'll do fine with this number. 

We'll be at the clinic 6:30 tomorrow morning for the procedure to take place.  I'm nervous about the anesthesia, but excited to wake up and find out exactly how many eggs were retrieved.  They said I'll be at the clinic for about 2 hours, and will resting at home the rest of the day.  I hope its not too painful afterwards, but they did warn me "you'll feel like someone punched you in the ovaries over and over, and (with a smile) that's because we did".  There was no mention of pain meds afterwards, and I don't do well with pain.  I'll be calling in for a scrip if needed.

After this part of the process, eggs meet sperm in the lab.  Our "highly paid babysitters" will watch over the embryos for 3-5 days, calling each day to let us know how they are progressing.  Once ready, we'll pick the best 2 to go with and the transfer will take place.  Any other embryos will be frozen for future use, aka "Ice Babies". 

After two weeks of ramping my system, I am quite surprised to be able to say I feel good.  The only side effect I've had is about the last three days my breasts have been very tender.  But other than that, I'm not tired, no headaches, no hot flashes.  I feel completely normal.  I never thought that IVF would be easier than IUI's in the way of side effects, but it has been.  Nothing was worse than that Clomid and those hot flashes.

Excited to see what the next week brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment