Wednesday, September 7, 2011

We're inseminated

Yesterday I was at the clinic for my ultrasound to see how my follicles were progressing.  We were right on target with two follicles at 17 and 20 mm.  Our goal was two at 18mm.  They administered a "trigger" shot of Novarel to induce ovulation overnight, and planned IUI for this morning.

Today we went back in to do the IUI.  Phil dropped his goods off at 10:30, and we were back in an hour to inseminate.  The nurse said his SA was "magnificent".  He had 22 million count (preferred was 20), and 89% motility (goal was >50%).  The process of inseminating was more painful than I thought it would be, and I was glad when it was over.   The nurse had to try a few different sizes of speculums and catheters before she was able to make it past my cervix. I cramped for a few hours afterward, but this evening I feel fine. 

So that brings us to the 2 week wait, I sure hope it goes by fast.  We'll be back in the clinic 9/21 for our blood work to see if it all worked out.  But I have to stop and remind myself, we only have 20% chance of getting pregnant, that's the odds we're dealing with.  I'm going to try and not to get too excited, but then again we want to enjoy the moment too.  Worst case scenario is we try again in future months.  While a few pieces to this process were painful, all in all it hasn't been bad. Out of pocket for this one cycle was right at $500, which is what I was figuring and had saved up for. 

I asked about the chance of multiples...they said its less than 1% for triplets or more, and 2-4% for twins.  We're comfortable with those odds.

2 comments:

  1. Your in my thoughts Am. I hope in two weeks I am reading that you are pregnant! You and Phil deserve all the happiness and love in the world that comes with being a parent. I have been cleaning out and packing away Josef's baby clothes and I have a little pile for you.

    One question though if you dont mind me asking....why do they say there is only a 20% chance of becoming pregnant?

    love and miss you dearly!!
    ~T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Toni! I'm optimistic right now, there's a big chance this won't be our month, but that doesn't take us out of the game. We'll go for 2-3 more cycles of IUI if we have to, and then back to the drawing board after that if still not pregnant.
    On the success rates, we were told most couples who turn to IUI have a 5 to 20 percent chance of becoming pregnant with each cycle. Your chances will be closer to 20 percent if you take fertility drugs in conjunction with the procedure. My Dr. explained a whole gammet of things they take into consideration, age and ovarian reserve, semen analysis results, uterine lining, on and on. We fell at 20% when she was finished pouring through all that data.

    ReplyDelete