Saturday, August 27, 2011

A new Journey

As most close to us know, Phil and I have been trying to conceive for about 3 years now.  Its time to step it up a notch. We've had thoughts of making an appointment with a fertility clinic for quite awhile.  Let me start by first saying this is something we're very excited about.  I'm eager to document the whole process, so here we go!  I'm also eager to share this journey with a special few I feel closest to, and most supported by.  Thank you in advance for cheering us on and surrounding us with your love and positivity.

We went into our initial consult prepared with results of Phil's semen analysis and my pap smear results - no issues found. We are currently 'unexplained' as to why we've yet to get a BFP (fertility code for Big Fat Positive).  Our personal thoughts have always been about timing intercourse, as I've yet to EVER get a positive on a ovulation predictor kit.  Aside from that I don't think we've been overly worried that we could not have children, more so that we just need some help in the process. 

August 15th we had our initial consult with Dr. Cristin Slater at The Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.  We had been looking forward to the appointment, and thankfully had a very positive and excited outlook on taking a new direction with trying for a baby. As I'm known to do, little miss researcher, I did my homework and then some.  I already felt like I knew the doctor.  I'd read the clinic website from front to back, talked to past patients (successful I might add!) and investigated all things on the matter of fertility procedures, drugs, so on and so forth.

It felt so good to feel prepared that day.  Phil was in a good mood, supportive and holding my hand throughout, to which I was very thankful for.  Some may think that it was just a doctor's visit, but to me it was so much more that day, it was like a big leap in the process, and something in my heart tells me we are definitely doing the right thing.

The appointment went as expected.  We spoke with the doctor for well over an hour about what her clinic does, and what options we could look at.  We discussed success rates and so many other things.  Speaking of success rates, throughout the hallways of the clinic were several bulletin boards up of babies conceived with the help of ICRM, our smiles got bigger.

We laid out a plan that day for beginning the process of  Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) on my upcoming cycle.  All steps were explained to me, and soon we were headed to the next room for the first of many Trans-vaginal Ultrasounds.  It sounded like a big deal, but was so much easier than a pap smear.  Dr. Slater was happy to report no issues with my uterus or cervix, everything checked out fine.  Phil was in the room with me.  Once done, we looked at the process on paper (I'll document in my next post), setup my prescriptions order, and ran blood work on both of us for Infectious disease panel.  We also sat down with the billing specialist, who after reviewing my medical benefits said she'd never seen such good coverage for fertility services.  It's quite the perk to work for a California company sometimes, they're ahead of the game on this stuff.  85% up to $5K is covered, not bad at all.  Once all that was done, we were instructed to go home and call the clinic back on the first day of my next menstrual cycle.  Who knew I'd ever anticipate Aunt Flow showing up as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment